Sunday, December 28, 2003

A confession...

Last night my husband chose the movie. (note: this is not the confession) Usually we come to some sort of agreement about movies, although we may take turns following each other's suggestions. Last night, though, he chose, with little input from me. Friends of ours, upon hearing the movie choice, declined to join us (and were more than a little shocked that my husband will go see Godzilla but has no interest in seeing the Lord of the Rings... and were also shocked that I knew all this before I agreed to marry him). So, we went... alone. The movie was "Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah." (I believe it was released in Japan earlier this year) I went under protest. I insisted on sushi for dinner (which was appropriate since the movie was made in Japan... but also because it is my favorite food and I felt I need it if I was going to have to sit through "Godzilla et. al."). Confession: I loved it! The movie bears striking resemblance to the old fifties Godzilla movies that used to be on television on Saturday afternoons... Godzilla still looks like a big plastic lizard and the other monsters are not much more "realistic." Baragon, the baby of the monsters looks like a cross between a gremlin and a triceratops. Mothra is quite striking actually, an overgrown moth with beautiful wings. And, of course, there is King Ghidorah, a golden dragon with three heads. The hero is an intrepid young woman, Yuri, who is looking to make her break and become an accomplished and respected professional who will be taken seriously. And, of course, the theme of atomic energy, or, more importantly, the A-bomb is still present. It is not great film... this is no Rashomon. It ranks high on the unintentional comedy scale... which is why it was the perfect movie for the evening. So, keep an eye out for it in your local theaters... and, if you live in the Boston area, it's playing at the Brattle Theater in Harvard Square.

No comments: