Friday, July 16, 2004

I'm back (again)

It has been far far too long since I have last posted.  And, I have no good excuse.  I have been out of work since June 18th and therefore should have plenty of time to write... but it's amazing how the days just get frittered away when you have nothing to do but watch bad daytime television, apply for unemployment and send out endless resumes. sigh.  but enough of that, I am turning over a new leaf and getting back to blogging (especially now that my earlier reason for not blogging, not wanting to do it at work, has now vanished).
 
So, for part of my new found freedom... I headed back to Great Lake State for a week... Yes! Michigan!  (Anyone remember that ad campaign).  Usually I find the visits to be rushed and hectic weekend or holiday visits with many family obligations, no time to relax and no quality time with old friends.  This week was much needed. 
 
During the visit, Dad took the afternoon off and we headed to Henry Ford Museum (we were supposed to go to Point Pelee but the sky looked threatening).  They were having a special exhibit on Disco... Now, for those of you who don't know, The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village is an historical experience (it's billed as "The world's greatest historical attraction"... no humility there).  In the village there are many many houses of famous dead people or houses that are historicall architecturally significant: Edison's Lab, Stephen Foster's home, a working historic farm,  one room schoolhouse etc.  On one visit my mother overheard the  following comment: Isn't it amazing that all these famous people lived right here in the same neighborhood?!  And the speaker was not joking... but I digress...
 
The disco exhibit was quite interesting, discussing the politics, culture and music of the era.  There was even a mock dance floor and booth where you could try to be a dj and sync the records as a real dj would when mixing.  What was strange was, the exhibit was about something that happened in my lifetime.  The museum, like the village, is dedicated to historical things, nickelodeons, steam engines, old household appliances, etc, all well before I was born.  Is it that I'm getting old (no) or that they are running out of material??  What was amusing was that, most of the songs I remember from college when I went dancing with friends (we are family, i will survive, ymca... all standards)... and the Mickey Mouse disco album.  Embarrasing but true...but my best friend Jean and I loved that record and I can picture us dancing in her room as we played it over and over again.  The Sesame Street Disco album was also a hit.
 
I would definitely recommend a visit next time you're in town.  For those of you in the know, yes, Henry Ford was a rabid anti-semite.  The tour guides, however, do not now much about this.  A cousin of mine (who is my father's age) once went with her children who were mortified when, at the end of a tour she asked, "could you please explain Henry Ford's relationship with the Nazi Party?"  Good question but not covered in the traininng of tour guides.
 
Also, if the weather is fine... do check out Point Pelee

No comments: